RE: [ba-ohs-talk] Geneaology - hierarchical format

Note also that the LDS have been moving towards an XML-based standard [1]
and that there is a discussion list for genealogical XML at Yahoo [2]. A lot
of work as been done on getting this kind of data into topic maps [3], and a
little towards RDF : a DAML+OIL schema is at [4] and there has been
discussion of using genealogy data within the FOAF vocabulary [5]. I'm
really hoping the latter use comes about, because Jim Ley's graphic foafnaut
work [6] is really sweet ;-)    (01)

(I looked into this a bit while trying to come up with a nice node and arc
example to do in SVG, but in the end gave up because it was getting to
complicated for the purpose - family trees simply aren't trees!)    (02)

[1] http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/columns/eastman/3396.asp
[3] http://easytopicmaps.com/index.php?page=TopicMapsForGenealogy
[4] http://orlando.drc.com/daml/Ontology/Genealogy/3.1/Gentology-ont.daml
[5] http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
[6] http://jibbering.com/foaf/ (SVG viewer needed, such as Adobe's Internet
Explorer plugin)    (03)

Danny Ayers    (04)

Semantic Web Log :
http://www.citnames.com/blog    (05)

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer    (06)