[ba-ohs-talk] FW: Re: paper clip - linked files - feature request]

>From the Chandler project.    (01)

There are a number of interesting aspects to this. The citation links point
to documents for sale.    (02)

One interesting aspect is that far more work has been done on the work
patterns of dealing with paper, filing systems, piling systems, and how
people use documents in general than I imagined.    (03)

As is too often the case, I expect that hardly anybody doing work in
computer-based systems has made any use of this information.    (04)

>From the pdf paper:    (05)

We predicted
that filers' attempts to evaluate and categorise incoming documents would
produce smaller archives that were
accessed frequently. Contrary to our predictions, filers amassed more
information, and accessed it less frequently
than pilers. We argue that filers may engage in premature filing: to clear
their workspace, they archive information
that later turns out to be of low value. Given the effort involved in
organising data, they are also loath to discard
filed information, even when its value is uncertain. We discuss the
implications of this research for digital personal
information management.    (06)

This would seem to support periodic reviews and some sort of an indexing
system.    (07)

Among the references are (old) studies on email use.    (08)

This field of study could provide some excellent insights into such issues
as    (09)

* How people organize information.    (010)

* How categories change over time    (011)

* How filing relates to retrieval.    (012)

* Why people hoard information.    (013)

* Why people continue to hoard paper and distrust electronic systems.    (014)

* How work patterns and information use interact.    (015)

Intriguing!    (016)

Thanks,    (017)

Garold (Gary) L. Johnson    (018)