[ba-unrev-talk] Fwd: Refugee Camp Redesign Report

Potential OHS application     (01)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Refugee Camp Redesign Report
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:27:35 -0600
From: Barrett Brown <barrett@thesustainablevillage.com>
To: Recipient List Suppressed    (02)

Dear Friends,    (03)

Thank you again for contributing your ideas to our project on
redesigning refugee camps as environmentally sustainable settlements.
We attended a recent meeting to begin to address this issue (it is a
huge issue!) A final report has been issued and I wanted to let you
know about it. Please review it at:    (04)

http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/art7205.php    (05)

We are currently developing a web site that will be a repository for
knowledge about this issue, as well as a place to collaborate on new
ideas. The new organization dedicated to this issue is called
CareBridge. The web site will be at http://www.carebridge.org BUT IT
IS NOT READY YET. We will notify you when it is.    (06)

The second phase of this project is to write a funding proposal to
use whole systems design - and many of the ideas from this conference
- to address the needs of a displaced population or emerging
community. At the insistence of UNHCR, we cannot go directly into a
refugee camp and try new ideas because people could be hurt if
something goes wrong with the test. Thus, all new ideas will need to
be tested externally, and proven, before they can be applied to
actual refugee camps. This is a long-term process, and we look
forward to collaborating with you in the future to help make this
happen.    (07)

We are collecting content for the CareBridge site. Please submit any
appropriate resources, graphics, photos, links, articles, and
research papers appropriate to this topic.    (08)

Also, if you know of any funding organizations or grant initiatives
that would tie in well with this project, please let us know.    (09)

Again, we have sincerely appreciated your contributions in the past.
Best to you in your ventures.    (010)

Sincerely,
--
Barrett C. Brown
International Development Director    (011)

The Sustainable Village
717 Poplar Ave.
Boulder, CO 80304   USA
(303) 998-1323 extension 110
(303) 449-1348 Fax
www.sustainablevillage.com    (012)

Critical thinking, appropriate technology and strategic action for
sustainability projects worldwide.    (013)

Download our free 8000-product catalog of renewable energy and
appropriate technology at:
http://www.thesustainablevillage.com/products/catalogs    (014)