Re: [ba-unrev-talk] XHTML 1.1 and purple numbers

It looks, unfortunately, like you are correct. The proper
definition of an ID in XHTML 1.1 is that of an ID in XML 1.0,
which is the same as a NAME in XML 1.0.    (01)

A NAME starts with a letter, a '_' or an ':' followed by letters,
digits, '_', '-', ':', '.' or a few other things.    (02)

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-Name    (03)

I guess what you can do is prepend the numbers with a constant
string, like 'nid' as is done in PurpleWiki (we do both name and
id in the anchors for the time being), or perhaps 'sid' if
you're numbers are actually structural identifiers.    (04)

I think requiring IDs to starting with a letter is a _horrible_
idea as there is also a requirement that IDs be unique through
the document. It's much easier to create identifiers that have
some longevity with just numbers....    (05)

On 6 Jul 2003, Henry K van Eyken wrote:    (06)

--
Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/
then i fantasized the future i want..i wanna be walkin in a crowd smiling n