Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:14:24 -0700
From: Patricia Young <young@sneezy.sri.com>
To: OHS Seminars <ohs@esd.sri.com>, David Dupouy <david@sensiva.com>
Subject: Thursday Seminar    (04)

Morning All,    (05)

Jeff Conklin, guest of Doug Engelbart, will be presenting a talk on
Dialog Mapping this Thursday, 12 July.  The session will be held at noon
in the Bldg 301 Horizon Room.  Please join us for this informative
session.  Remember to go to the Bldg A reception for your badge and I'll
come and escort you to our building.    (06)

Project teams and organizations increasingly face a new kind of
challenge to effective collaboration and project success: a combination
of "wicked problems" and "social complexity."  When a problem is wicked
you have to create solutions just to understand what the problem is ...
turning the traditional problem solving process on its head.  Social
complexity means that the number and diversity of stakeholders in a
project makes the "right answer" and
"consensus" unreachable, and puts a premium on simply reaching the
highest possible shared understanding.    (07)

In this talk we will review these "fragmenting forces" and discuss
techniques that can create coherence in the face of problem wickedness
and social complexity.  Based on Rittel's IBIS (Issue Based Information
System), the technique of "Dialog Mapping" allows a diverse group of
stakeholders to create shared understanding and shared commitment.  This
approach is an
outgrowth of early efforts to capture and manage software sytem design
rationale
using hypertext and groupware tools.    (08)