[ba-unrev-talk] RE: Immutable Granular Addressability: Was: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Re: International Purple Numbering Standard?

Terrific ideas, Barry.    (01)

The open source email client ZOE http://sourceforge.net/projects/zoe
includes code that allows you to use the google engine. To use that code,
you must sign up with google for your own account. That email client also
includes the Lucene search engine http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene which
indexes your entire inbox, meaning all your emails are ready for keyword
search.    (02)

Cheers
Jack    (03)

At 10:19 AM 10/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Google presents the user with the option to look at the current version
>of a page, or at the version that the indexing engine used.  Sometimes
>you find some very interesting things by looking at the older version :-)
>
>Google is great for finding things on the web (at least compared to what
>came before it :-). But it's *useless* for keeping track of or summarizing
>what you've found.
>
>I'd like to see something like the Google toolbar that helps with the
>problem of recording useful (re-usable! shareable!?) references to things
>found on the web. I described the following extension to the folks at
>Google during an interview some time ago: they thought it was technically
>straightforward and 'interesting'.
>
>         Once I've found a useful piece of information on a web page, I'd
>         like to be able to select the text in question, then e.g. do a right
>         mouse click and select 'create reference' from the pop-up menu.
>         (Google and Kontiki have both added 'search' commands to the
>         right mouse button pop-up menu.)
>         The 'create reference' verb would:
>                 1) Save the selection, along with
>                 2) the URL
>                 3) time of capture
>                 4) any notes the user might want to add
>                 5) a snapshot of the page
>         At a later time, the user would be able to examine both the
>         original page from which the referenced item was extracted, and
>         the current version of the page.  Without the cooperation of
>         the page's owner.
>
>If I may attempt to put this in Doug's vocabulary: I think Google is a
>useful
>point tool for the "intelligence collection" portion of the knowledge
>worker's
>activity, but it does not connect well with the "recorded dialog" or
>"knowledge
>product" related activities.
>
>By the way, Google has recently provided a web services interface to their
>search
>engine.  I've not looked at it closely: I wonder if their linkbase is
>accessible
>as part of the web service?
>
>Cheers!
>

>Barry Gleeson

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (05)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (06)