RE: [ba-unrev-talk] Humble pie in academia

Wow, Henry, and I would have thought I was older than you. At 63 I am
accustomed to being the old fart in a group of computerists, even though
that is not exactly the unrev composition.  You and Doug both have lots more
stripes on your sleave.    (01)

I had a similar situation occur for me when I wanted to reconstruct some
mathematical reasoning, nothing particularly difficult either, that I had
first worked through 20 years ago.  I got completely frazzled managing the
details of the derivation.  Fortunately, I still had a copy of a letter
where I laid out the solution before, and that was enough to let me piece it
together in the new formulation I was working on.  But it was very startling
to be baffled and frustrated like that.    (02)

I am registered for an on-line M.Sc in IT program through the University of
Liverpool.  My first course begins on November 28 and we will see how it
goes.  As part of the program, I intend to take a Java course as a way to
discipline myself and upgrade some rusty skills -- I am otherwise reluctant
to learn new programming languages.  You know, "Oh no, not yet another
one!".    (03)

I like to think I am still sharp but not so fast.  I should probably be more
attentive to concrete measures that I could apply as a way to tell how I am
actually functioning.  Taking a course sounds like a good way.    (04)

I am interested in how things go for you.  You are my role model in this
aspect of keeping an upper compartment tuned and operating.    (05)

-- orcmid    (06)

Dennis E. Hamilton
http://NuovoDoc.com/
mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org