[ba-unrev-talk] My two bits: Java Text

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 23:26, Henry K van Eyken wrote:    (01)

> It is well to bear in mind that textbooks are simply notes written by
> another teacher. Better be it to have a couple of sets of notes on the
> Internet for students to download on their PC-pads. Open-source stuff
> that any teacher can offer improvements on (open sourse). Students can
> maintain a copy and use another copy to cut down to personal notes.
> Result: better texts, beter studying.
>
> The conversation about Ruby, etc. brings back the question, What would
> be the best (in terms of ease of learning, maintaining personal
> knowledge and skill, and utility) for citizens in general.    (02)

It's not open source but Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java", now in its third
edition, is available for free in various e-formats (pdf, doc, HTML). There
is also a companion "Annotated Solutions" available (in e-format only). Get
'em while their hot (2nd Ed. would seem to be the preferred choice):
http://www.mindview.net/Books    (03)

BTW, I can not attest to the quality of this book. I did glance at an early
edition back in '97 or so and did come away with some better feel for OOP.    (04)

Amazon gives it 4/5 stars. Reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130273635/    (05)

Matt    (06)