Re: [unrev-II] Session #2 - Moving People?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 18:21:41 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Bill & Sharon Bearden wrote:

> From: "Bill & Sharon Bearden" <bbearden@bcl.net>
>
> Greetings,
>
> I was a little surprised that no one really followed up on the comment
> from the lady from the automobile industry about changing lifestyles.
> She seemed to be the only one who even hinted at the question: "why
> move people at all?"

I wanted to follow up on that one myself, after the session, but didn't
get to it.

There is another interesting trend that moves in the same direction, as
well: As a culture, we have begun to miss the "sense of community"
that appears to have desserted us. At the same time, community
designers (in some cases) are recognizing the desirability of having a
mix of retail, commercial, and domestic housing in the same area.

If multiple kinds of housing (inexpensive flats as well as large
mansions,
as well as everything between) are available in the same area then,
as gas prices rise, it becomes increasingly likely that people will opt
for housing that is in walking or cycling distance to work, as well as
to shops and public transportation to major shopping centers.

  Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
  You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends.