Re: [unrev-II] Session #2 - Moving People?

From: Jon Winters (winters@obscurasite.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:35:44 PST

From: Jon Winters <winters@obscurasite.com>

Eric Armstrong wrote:

> From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
>
> Bill & Sharon Bearden wrote:
>
> > From: "Bill & Sharon Bearden" <bbearden@bcl.net>
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I was a little surprised that no one really followed up on the comment
> > from the lady from the automobile industry about changing lifestyles.
> > She seemed to be the only one who even hinted at the question: "why
> > move people at all?"
>
> I wanted to follow up on that one myself, after the session, but didn't
> get to it.
>
> There is another interesting trend that moves in the same direction, as
> well: As a culture, we have begun to miss the "sense of community"
> that appears to have desserted us. At the same time, community
> designers (in some cases) are recognizing the desirability of having a
> mix of retail, commercial, and domestic housing in the same area.

I live in one of those 'so called' master planned communities. We were
among the first to move in so we'll see how it turns out.

> If multiple kinds of housing (inexpensive flats as well as large
> mansions,
> as well as everything between) are available in the same area then,
> as gas prices rise, it becomes increasingly likely that people will opt
> for housing that is in walking or cycling distance to work, as well as
> to shops and public transportation to major shopping centers.

I saw an interview on the news the other day from the North American
auto show and the guy was wondering how the SUV owner would react to gas
prices in the $2.50/gallon range. It baffles me that the auto industry
knows change is coming and they are researching new technologies and
selling giant gas guzzlers at the same time.

Buckminster Fuller had a bunch of ideas about self contained
communities.

--
Jon Winters
visit the Obscura Lounge in OpenVerse