Re: [unrev-II] DKR for Open Source: Core

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 18:49:49 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Jeff Miller wrote:

> I sort of know what your getting at. The trouble is that we've always
> viewed corespondence as a seperate thing to authoring. letters vs
> books. Want to talk paradigm shifts this is one of them. We going to have
> change the way these things behaive.

Yes!!

> Just take a look at this email as an example. most of it is your
> original text. If the parser understood this was quoted from your
> email then the post parsed form could be interlink (forward and backward)
> with your original email. This would allow viewing of comment received on
> individual paragraphs to be listed as part of you original email or for
> your email to be inserted in to this one to present something similar to
> what you see now.

This gets right to it. You wrote a good functional summary, right there.

> This holds promise. create a local deliver agent, a replacement for
> procmail.

I think so. What can you tell us about procmail, anyway?
Sending seems to be the easier task, btw. The harder part is receiving.
Unless we write a whole client, it's hard to see how we can "do the
right thing" with what we receive.

Perhaps an "extensible client" is in order, where the viewer/editor
depends on the MIME type. We register a DKR type with MIME, and bingo...

> > Of course, now *I'm* going off into the design weeds again. It's
> > so hard to stay focused on the real point -- what is that we want
> > the system to DO?
>
> Solve all our problems :).

Of course!
You're good. You're very, very good.