Re: [unrev-II] DKR for Open Source: Core

From: Jeff Miller (jeffm@dynamite.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 17:36:20 PST

From: Jeff Miller <jeffm@dynamite.com.au>

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 06:49:49PM -0800, Eric Armstrong wrote:
> I think so. What can you tell us about procmail, anyway?
> Sending seems to be the easier task, btw. The harder part is receiving.
> Unless we write a whole client, it's hard to see how we can "do the
> right thing" with what we receive.

Procmail (www.procmail.org) is good at filtering and copying mail into
folders. You can also generate autoreplies with it. However, I find it a
pain to work with. We may be better off writting a general filter prog
which mail can be piped through. This would be easier as could be called
from scripts and local delivery agents such as procmail.

> Perhaps an "extensible client" is in order, where the viewer/editor
> depends on the MIME type. We register a DKR type with MIME, and bingo...

just make sure of two things:
1) it can work on a text only terminals
2) we con someone into extending mutt (www.mutt.org), my mua :-)

I'd really like to be able to send some documents to window uses that they
can't understand for once (I've received too many word documents and I'm
wearing thin).

Jeff.

(ps mua = mail user agent)

Unique Valentine gifts, available now at eGroups.