Re: [unrev-II] DKR for Open Source: Viability

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:22:36 PST

From: "John J. Deneen" <jjdeneen@ricochet.net>

Re:
Background on implementation of OHS-based technology for "High-performance
Virtual Teams" and Robert Buckman's (Knowledge Mgmt. pioneer) affiliation with
the Applied Knowledge Group (AKG).

WebFlow's "SamePage/WebProject" technology
(http://www.accentuate.com/products/index.html) is a derivative of
Netsystem/NetForum (http://techconf.llnl.gov/Help/Quicknew.html) and Virtual
Diplomacy (http://www.usip.org/oc/virtual_dipl.html) which is an integrated
system of World Wide Web (WWW) based collaborative "groupware" tools that
enable the secure "virtual" electronic interaction of teams of professionals.

... "WebFlow is on target for phase two of corporate Intranets, where
server-based applications accessed by universal clients drive new frontiers in
inter-department collaboration," said Dr. Eric Schmidt, Chief Technology
Officer and Corporate Executive Officer at Sun Microsystems. "I am impressed by
the design decisions that WebFlow has made in SamePage and am enthusiastic
about the natural synergies between their work and ours to create ever more
powerful applications for the evolving extended enterprise."....

http://www.accentuate.com/releases/index.html

Barbara Davis, formerly managing director of the IT & Computer Security Center
at LLNL, lead David Gutierrez, Kris Chubb, Pamela Harris in developing this
OHS-based technology coded in Perl. In 1997, the Institute of Peace's 'Virtual
Diplomacy' conference explored the impact of the global information revolution
on nations, institutions, and communities
(http://www.usip.org/pubs/PW/697/virtual.html).

More info about the University of California Institute on Global Conflict and
Cooperation to use the Internet for electronic conferencing, part of a proposed
"virtual diplomacy" initiative for dealing with Environmental
Threats & National Security can be found at:
http://cgsr.llnl.gov/cgi-bin/downloader/CGSR_lib/009-0006.htm
 http://cgsr.llnl.gov/cgi-bin/downloader/CGSR_lib/009-0008.htm

Also, as a bases for co-founding and starting up the Applied Knowledge Group
(AKG) (http://www.akgaccess.com/) she was granted a licensed by LLNL in 1997.

"Knowledge sharing drives business today. Many companies like Buckman
Laboratories have embraced this paradigm. Buckman Laboratories is a specialty
chemical company serving the pulp and paper, water treatment, leather,
coatings, agricultural, and wood treatment industries worldwide. K'Netix®, The
Buckman Knowledge Network, brings Buckman associates in over 80 countries
together to share knowledge in solving customer problems through creative
chemical treatment technologies and technical service. Buckman Laboratories is
the recipient of the 1997 Computerworld Smithsonian Award, and Robert H.
Buckman has been named a Distinguished Delphi Fellow by the Delphi Group.

Robert H. Buckman joined AKG in April 1998. He remains fully engaged as
President, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Buckman Laboratories, based
in Memphis, Tennessee. Under Mr. Buckman's leadership, Buckman Laboratories has
been widely acclaimed for its success in creating a knowledge sharing culture
throughout the company, measurably improving its profits and ability to compete
in the specialty chemical marketplace. Buckman Laboratories researches,
develops, manufactures, and markets chemical products for industrial use.

Mr. Buckman's affiliation with AKG enables us to offer our clients his rich,
pioneering experience in knowledge sharing. Mr. Buckman has encouraged a
culture within Buckman Laboratories that facilitates the communication of
whatever information is needed throughout all levels of the company, so that
the entire company works together to help everyone to be the best they can be.
As a result, the company and its customers are able to take immediate advantage
of new ideas and business opportunities.

In 1996, Buckman Laboratories received the Arthur Anderson LLP Enterprise Award
for Best Practices: Knowledge Sharing in the Organization. The company received
a 1997 Computerworld Smithsonian Award for its visionary use of information in
manufacturing."

Contact Bob at rhbuckman@buckman.com
Or call 888-442-2785