Re: [unrev-II] 2020 Hindsight: A Fictional DKR Narrative (long (sorry))

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 07:54:40 PDT

    If I may jump in here, it occurs to me that what we have been calling
    knowledge cannot exist outside the user. What exists in books, computers,
    and so forth, it seems to me, is just a model, a map, whatever you want to
    call a collection of triggers to the model that resides within the user.

    I speak of "apparent IQ," while Doug speaks of "collective IQ." I believe
    we are both speaking of the synergy that occurs when more than one mind gets
    together. Now, I am not speaking of the DKR as another mind; rather, I am
    speaking of it as a model of a giant mind, one that has the capacity to
    trigger mine to work better. Consider this: Al Einstein talking to a 5-year
    old isn't going to get very far explaining general relativity. In fact, the
    Sayings of Chairman Peirce have a similar ring on me, given my lack of depth
    in philosophy. But then, should a computer harbor a relational network of
    ideas related to Peirce, I do have the requisite variety in my own mind to
    make use of that net, and, thus, appear a whole lot smarter than I am.

    Cheers
    Jack
    From: Bill Bearden <BBearden@BCL.net>