Re: [unrev-II] Alliance and Partners

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 14:35:48 PST

    Rod Welch wrote:

    > As you note in your letter, of the 300K+ hits you got on the Internet
    > for KM,
    > none are doing KM. They are all working on a project to create it.
    > My sense is
    > the design is a secret that can only be discovered by doing KM. If
    > people want
    > to build KM tools, you have to set aside the tool kit for awhile and
    > become
    > immersed in the process of doing KM, then pick up the tools again and
    > go to
    > work. Right now we have a bunch of expert tool makers, who don't
    > really
    > understand the tool that is needed. As you know, that is very hard for
    > highly
    > talented people to do. It's a dilemma.

    My take on things is that there are dozens of folks out there
    with "big picture" ideas for KM. But none have a platform to
    build on. My hope was to make an OHS (what I had thought of as
    a HyperDOCUMENT repository) into a platform they could use to
    build on. Now I guess we're calling it a DKR, though, which
    sounds as though the problem will have been solved when we're
    done building it. I don't think that's true, but what the heck.
    It's only a name.

    eLerts