[unrev-II] FYI: Student Software Faire Announcement

From: Howard Liu (howliu@thinkalong.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 19:13:51 PDT

    Dear Fellow List Members,

    I'd like to forward the following student software faire announcement from Ade Mabogunje of the Stanford Learning Lab at Stanford University.  Perhaps, we can find something to add to our knowledge for building an OHS.

    Howard

    Announcement:

    CS194 SOFTWARE FAIRE (Project-based Learning at Stanford) http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs194/faire/projects.html

    This is to invite you to the end of the quarter Software Faire for Computer Science Senior Project course (CS194) at Stanford. Students in the course work in teams to design and implement a significant software project of their own choosing. It is the capstone course--a chance for them to show us what they have learned and demonstrate that they can work with the intensity that will be required after graduation.

    The faire is like a small trade show, with nonstop demonstrations of all the projects. It's a fun event, with lots of people, prizes for the best projects, etc. The students get very excited about showing off their work, especially to visitors from industry. Here are the details:

    Date: Wednesday, June 13 Time: 12:15 - 5:00 pm Location: Meyer Library, Stanford

    We think you will enjoy the opportunity to see what this quarter's group of seniors are up to. If you can't make it, perhaps one or more of your associates would like to come.

    The projects cover a very wide range of topics. Here are few of the 26 projects you will see:

    --an electronic notebook for use in classrooms --a lecture feedback system for querying students' understanding in real time.
    --a system for joint web browsing and web-based tutorials
    --a secure distributed Peer-To-Peer (P2P) file-sharing application designed for use by small private groups of users
    --a system for joint, interactive software debugging
    --an engine for creating web-based information tracking applications with PDA synchronization
    --a voice-controlled Ford Explorer
    --some amazing and innovative computer games

    You can see the complete list (still under construction) by going to http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs194/faire/projects.html .

    There will be a light lunch available starting around 11:30. That is a good opportunity to meet the other industry guests and chat with some of the students.

    Bob Plummer
    Department of Computer Science
    Stanford University

    Ade Mabogunje