[unrev-II] Maleable Archives

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 14:32:56 PDT

    Eric,

    Good reasoning that belongs in the DKR keeper pile, similar to your planning on
    000212.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/02/12/193428.HTM#L332415

    Rod

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > In the discussion I had with Lee last week, a couple
    > of thoughts came out that I would like to post to a
    > wider audience. (As usual, I'm thinking in email. I'll
    > post as an HTML page later.)
    >
    > The core is this: The concept of an eternal and unchanging
    > archive of exactly what was expressed, when, and by whom,
    > is highly overrated, in my opinion. In my opinion, we think
    > that way because we are only used to two options: full
    > history, and no history. Of the two, we prefer having a
    > history.
    >
    > Let's consider that we have a collaborative email-ish
    > discussion going on, most likely based on an IBIS-style
    > investigation of issues, and that we have our dream data
    > engine (Nodal, in all liklihood) powering it.
    >
    > Now, lets consider a few cases.
    >
    > CASE #1: Wrong audience.
    > I post a message to the group that was intended for an
    > individual. Or I accidentally post to the wrong group.
    > As the author of the message, I have a perfect right to
    > press the "retract" button, as it were, and remvoe the
    > noise from the wires.
    >
    > CASE #2: Wrong assertion.
    > I post a message that says, "A is true", and someone
    > replies, "no it's not", with canonical proof that I
    > am wrong. Well darn it all, I want to remove that
    > hare-brained, addle-pated, wrong-headed, idiotic claim,
    > so I don't look a fool for all eternity. And as its
    > author, I have a right to do that!
    >
    > Now maybe I just have to file the "desire to delete",
    > and when the person responding takes away their
    > contradiction, then the whole thing can disappear.
    >
    > Or maybe I can at least edit the thing to say that
    > "you'd think, on the surface, that A is true, but as
    > Ralph so alerty points out, ..." Or words to that
    > effect. Details to be decided. But you get the idea.
    >
    > CASE #3: Civil Discourse.
    > Here, tempers flare. I say, "you rat-brained son of a
    > skunk". He/she says, "you pig-eating, flaming goose
    > neck", and we're off to the wars. After a while,
    > everyone calms down. I edit my message to read, "I'm
    > not sure you're right about that". He/she edits their
    > message to read "I have to disagree". Later on, reading
    > the archive, the information content is the same. It is
    > only the emotions that have been extracted.
    >
    > The bottom line here is that the overall readability and
    > usability of the archive is improved as a result of the
    > editing. At the moment, an archive is a huge field of
    > wheat, with needles strewn about. You search the field
    > looking for needles, and of course you spend a lot more
    > time "hopeless separating the chaff from the chaff".
    >
    > Message threads begins to organize the wheat into haystacks.
    > But as we all know, often a message that belongs in a
    > thread is posted outside of it. The ability to edit the
    > archive makes it possible to put it where it belongs,
    > which reduces the number of haystacks and makes them a
    > more accurate reflection of the dialog.
    >
    > Similarly, removing material helps to reduce the size of
> [...]

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of
    VeriSign's FREE Guide "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it now!
    http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6lIgYB/IWxCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM