Re: [unrev-II] Maleable Archives

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 18:55:28 PDT

    Indeed. Eric's thoughts are very useful, but not always applicable. I am much in
    accord with the examples given, but one may come up with other examples as well.

    An engineer advocating a widget for an aircraft's steering mechanism does not have
    the right to remove or alter the relevant documentation from a DKR after that
    widget has been put into use. Investigators looking into an airplane crash should
    have the full record available.

    And it is has been frowned on that Nixon erased parts of the White House tapes.

    Degree of an author's responsibility is a factor.

    And then there are authors and readers who are more interested in Napoleon's love
    life than his prowess in politics and war.

    I agree very much with Eric as far as his specifics go, but I doubt the reasoning
    ought be made into a rule without regard for circumstance. Nevertheless, following
    Rod, the post does belong in a DKR keeper's policy manual along with a note that
    editorial discretion is the better part of valor.

    Henry

    Small business owners...
    Tell us what you think! http://promo2.yahoo.com/sbin/Yahoo!_BusinessNewsletter/survey.cgi
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM