Re: [unrev-II] Maleable Archives

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 16:24:07 PDT

"Garold (Gary) L. Johnson" wrote:

> (many excellent points, plus...)
>
> David Parnas wrote an excellent paper called "A Rational Design
> Process: How
> and Why to Fake It", in which he says that no real project ever got
> built
> from the top down, but that we can and should construct a paper trail
> that
> represents how a true top down approach could have brought about the
> results
> that actually occurred.
>
> I think of IBIS in this way. Studies have shown the resistance that
> many
> people have to classifying their comments as they make them. A
> refactoring
> that creates and IBIS style discussion from a less structured
> discussion
> could be ectremely valuable.

> The Extreme Programming Wiki found that elements needed to be
> refactored
> when they got too disorganized...

Yes, yes, and double yes.
Refactoring is as necessary to documentation and narrative as it is
to code. I like Parnas' description of the process. It's accurate.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KYe3qC/I56CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM