[unrev-II] Re: Maleable Archives

From: Alexander Shapiro (alex@touchgraph.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 20:44:50 PDT

    > > The value of an archive, like the value of a novel, depends on
    > > its *readability*. Editable archives allow for discussions
    > > that, over time, reflect the best possible reasoning and
    > > explication of issues. Whether or not an unedited version is
    > > retained underneath, it is the edited version which should be
    > > the topmost, publically visible layer.

    What about a CVS type approach to discussions. Anyone can edit,
    possibly even other peoples messages (what if you see a typo made by
    someone else). The latest changes (diffs) can be seen, and voted on
    by readers. The author can get priority in refusing changes to their
    messages. Also, now I am thinking that the author could explicitly
    allow or dissalow others (all or groups) to change their posts.

    Then, a historian could play the discussion back like a movie, or
    play it backwards. Like in CVS, you could have stable points
    (Lables, I think they are called) to make it convenient for a
    historian to start in the middle.

    ----

    Personally, I wonder if threaded discussion will ever be completely eliminated. Chances are, that there will always be rambling forums, where it would not make sence to create a structure beyond thread level. Then again it could be that the replacing (disruptive?) technology is so simple that it does not make sence not to use it.

    --Alex

    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION, DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More! http://us.click.yahoo.com/VihfLB/nT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II