Re: [unrev-II] Re: Maleable Archives

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 14:22:41 PDT

    Alexander Shapiro wrote:

    > > > The value of an archive, like the value of a novel, depends on
    > > > its *readability*. Editable archives allow for discussions
    > > > that, over time, reflect the best possible reasoning and
    > > > explication of issues. Whether or not an unedited version is
    > > > retained underneath, it is the edited version which should be
    > > > the topmost, publically visible layer.
    >
    > What about a CVS type approach to discussions. Anyone can edit,
    > possibly even other peoples messages (what if you see a typo made by
    > someone else). The latest changes (diffs) can be seen, and voted on
    > by readers. The author can get priority in refusing changes to their
    > messages. Also, now I am thinking that the author could explicitly
    > allow or dissalow others (all or groups) to change their posts.

    That is basically the idea. But we need granular versioning,
    so changing a line revs the paragraph, not the whole document.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
    site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/aihfLB/oT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM