Re: [unrev-II] Visual stimuli & IBIS methodology

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 03:28:01 PST

    Jack Park wrote:
    > Is sensemaking, maybe truth seeking, about persuasion?

    By way of answer, and attempting to be _really_ persuasive, I'd like to
    recommend this paper:
    Hermeneutics and Information Representation
    Matthew Chalmers
    Computing Science, Glasgow University, United Kingdom
    http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~matthew/papers/hermeneutics.pdf

    Abstract
    By drawing from semiology, epistemology and philosophical hermeneutics, we
    discuss the way CSCW models data, situation and activity-information
    representation. We point out similarities between discourse in hermeneutics
    and in the anthropology and sociology that predominates in CSCW, and propose
    that a hermeneutic perspective offers a unifying view on the social science
    and
    computer science within CSCW. We discuss formalisation, adaptation, and
    objectivity in our theories, methodologies and implementations, and offer
    collaborative filtering and its extension, the path model, as examples of
    practical approaches to information representation that show, support and
    adapt with
    activity in a hermeneutic style.

    I'd also just like to point out, that although the abstract is not very
    transparent, most of the first half of the paper is a rapid and _fairly_
    solid introduction to these complex issues, all of which seem highly
    relevant to OHS/DKR/Collaboration/Dialoguing.

    It makes apparent that semiological models, tacit or explicit, with
    epistemic and cognitive 'horizons', participate in all our theorising and
    praxis, how aspects of these can be falsified (no positivism here), and the
    hermeneutic circle's role in the evolution of it all.

    Cheers,
    Peter