Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Thinking about asynchronous IBIS (possibly longish,sorry)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Jack Park wrote:    (01)

> Now, I'm looking for excuses to pursue Situation C.
> Thus far, I am able to generate the following positive responses:    (02)

> This kind of "facilitation" allows facilitators (teachers in an education
>   scenario) to track outcomes in the learning process
> This kind of "facilitation" forces the discussion to stay on track    (03)

> and the following negative responses:    (04)

> Requires a huge amount of work on the part of the facilitators
> Provokes a potentially long response time, with consequent loss of
>   pedagogic value in the process    (05)

To this I would add that an enormous amount of power to control the
conversation is placed in the hands of the facilitator(s). This isn't
necessarily a bad thing, but needs to be considered when selecting a
facilitator. Will the facilitator use the situation to manipulate the
flow to get the outcome they've already, even if just subconsciously,
concluded? How can checks be built it to keep the information diverse?    (06)

On the other hand without the focusing action of the glass bead, most
conversations are doomed to spin.    (07)

Outside the formal learning environment, for example here, I think
there is much to be gained if we could figure out a system for
facilitating the generation of facilitators. As a thread grows long
and interesting someone would volunteer to be the bead, distill and
re-present. Part of that process (the doing, not the thinking) could
be automated, with reminders and tools).    (08)

This happens manually some of the time already but I think many of us
have lives that prevent too much of that.    (09)

--
Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/    (010)