[ba-ohs-talk] Manhattan Project to establish the Knowledge Sciences

John,    (01)

I concur with Churchill's formula for success of persistent
enthusiasm, as related in your letter this morning, shown below.
Others have made similar observations, e.g., Edison, reviewed on
950710....    (02)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/95/07/10/002652.HTM#0582    (03)

...and more recently, Secretary of Defense Don Rumsfeld addressing the
War College on 020131....    (04)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/02/01/31/191927.HTM#6L5K    (05)

Of course other ingredients are needed to supplement persistence and
enthusiasm. Getting an early start shown by your letter sent at 0538
this morning is a big help under the rule "The early bird gets the
worm."    (06)

Alas, however, there must come a time to move beyond clichés to
address both technical and social issues in order to make meaningful
advance, as shown by the record in the letter yesterday, and mentioned
in Dave Snowden's paper, which you submitted on 020608...    (07)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/02/06/08/193547.HTM#ZN6I    (08)

This requires alliance to leverage talents, called out by Rumsfeld in
remarks on 020131, per above, and that enabling forces operating over
time reach a critical mass, as occurred with the original Manhattan
Project, and discussed with Doug Engelbart on 001120....    (09)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/11/20/204936.HTM#H67I    (010)

One such enabling force is for people to continue to keep an open mind
about the potential for improvement, and not to give up in despair by
succumbing to ignorance, fear and denial.  That is why I support your
conference to keep the flame of progress burning for a little longer,
and appreciate very much your enthusiasm.  Would like to see it
applied to address action items in the record in order to expedite
progress, but maybe that will come after your conference.  I can well
imagine you are very busy right now, so there is too little time for
deliberative analysis.  Hopefully, this will not be "too little to
late," as someone once said.    (011)

Rod     (012)