[ba-ohs-talk] Re: Semantic web meta data

Jack Park wrote:    (01)

> Of great value to OHS-think...

This reminds me of an XTM question.    (03)

Since a "topic" construct points to a URL to specify it's subject,
what's to prevent multiple topics with differing names from pointing
to different URLs, yet with the same meaning intended?    (04)

The answer, of course, has to be standards -- an ontology standard,
to be precise. But which? Cyc? Dublin core? other?    (05)

The goal I see for the semantic web, as Newcomb expostulates so
eloquently in his chapter of the Topic Maps book, is for a user
(me!) to get the information desired, while hiding the bushels of
similar-but-not-desirable information.    (06)

That tends to argue for natural-language queries. Otherwise I'm
going to have a huge ontology to wade through to figure out how
to express my question.    (07)

Now then, when that query is processed, it will only be possible
to use it sites that have somehow been tagged with the appropriate
meta data. Of course, that will take a lot of work, so one needs to
know it will pay off... (chicken & egg, since people will search with
such a system *because* it will pay off.)    (08)

So one question is, who is focused on the www-o (world wide web
ontology) problem?    (09)

Another question is whether it might make even more sense to use
on-the-fly network analysis to identify "groups", and let the zero in
on set unions, intersections, & differences using "like this" and
"not like this".    (010)