[ba-ohs-talk] Creating Applications With Mozilla

The entire O'Reilly book of that title is online in html at
http://books.mozdev.org/chapters/index.html    (01)

"The contents of this book are being made available under the terms of the
Open Publication License. The following HTML files contain all of the
content for each chapter but do not currently contain the figures in-line.
All screenshots and images in the book are available seperately on the
Figures page. "    (02)

The entire book itself is on-sale at http://www.bookpool.com for $22.75
(43%off for a limited time). (No, I don't own stock in bookpool, but they
have the best price on my book _XML Topic Maps_, too).    (03)

"Mozilla is not just a Web browser. Mozilla is also a framework for
building cross-platform applications using standards such as CSS (Cascading
Style Sheets), XML languages such as XUL (XML-based User-interface
Language), XBL (eXtensible Binding Language), and RDF (Resource Description
Framework), as well as Gecko, Mozilla's rendering engine, and other
technologies.    (04)

The Mozilla development framework also makes use of programming languages
such as JavaScript, C++, C, Python, and IDL (Interface Definition
Language), plus framework technologies such as XPConnect and XPCOM,
Mozilla's component model.    (05)

In addition to Netscape's Mozilla-based browsers (Netscape 6.x and 7.x),
the Mozilla framework has been used to create other browsers such as Galeon
and Chimera, and chat clients such as ChatZilla and JabberZilla. Developers
have also used Mozilla to create development tools, browser enhancements,
and games, as well as many other types of add-ons and applications.    (06)

This book explains how applications are created with Mozilla and provides
step-by-step information about how you can create your own programs using
Mozilla's powerful cross-platform development framework. This book also
includes examples of many different types of existing applications to
demonstrate some of the possibilities of Mozilla development. "    (07)

I think a marriage of Mozilla, OpenOffice, and lthe tools coming out of KMi
(http://kmi.open.ac.uk) might be one really useful way to kickoff an OHS
project. I suppose it can be argued that this suggestion is limited to
implementation issues and doesn't really deal with use cases, requirements
and all the other things going on in design.  As it turns out, I happen to
subscribe to the XP notion of release early, release often, and this
suggestion opens the door to visualization of ways in which rough
prototypes can be released early.    (08)

Cheers
Jack    (09)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (010)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (011)