Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Licensing of the unrevii email archives (wasre: Progress on...)

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Paul Fernhout wrote:    (01)

> This is fantastic and brave work! I hope you continue to elaborate this
> and share the results under some specific free or open source license.
>   http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
>   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
> (I didn't see a license in parser.pl by the way -- just your copyright.)    (02)

Thank you for the comments.    (03)

At the moment licensing on the code and documents created for the
project is a bit in the air because I don't have a clear
statement from the school about who owns what. My personal
approach is to use the GPL or Artistic license, depending on my
goals with the work. Here's probably not the place to join the
GPL versus the world debate (it seems to be rolling some over in
the ohs list) but suffice it to say that I'm versus the world.    (04)

> === an issue of email archive licensing ===    (05)

[snip]    (06)

> A major issue that has deterred me from publishing any work involving
> the Bootstrap mailing list data has been a lack of clear license related
> to using the email archive. While I myself applaud what you are doing,
> it would nice to know with as much assurance as possible that releasing
> such work publicly was on solid legal grounds (if you have not obtained
> such assurances already from either Stanford or the Bootstrap
> Institute).    (07)

I had been waiting to see if we would hear from the CPC about
this, but since we haven't I'll go ahead and mention that the
archives were delivered to us in a variety of formats by Henry
and Eugene, they are publicly available and IU's Human Subjects
people gave us the green light. If this is not enough assurance I
hope someone in "authority" will speak up and say as much so we
can work out alternate arrangements.    (08)

I think it is worth having a discussion about these licensing
issues, because they are certainly relevant for knowledge
evolution. But you've now suggested that our position with the
archives may be somewhat tenuous so I'm hesitant...    (09)

Can we hear from the the CPC?    (010)

--
Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/
"Mediocrities everywhere--now and to come--I absolve you all! Amen!