[ba-unrev-talk] Interpersonal Information Manager

Mitch Kapor is at it again!
Read about it at
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/dan_gillmor/ejournal/
Dan Gillmor's blog.    (01)

The project is found at http://www.osafoundation.org/, the Open Source
Application Foundation, funded by Kapor.  There is a lot of reason to
suspect that this project might lay some groundwork for an OHS, given what
follows, lifted from http://www.osafoundation.org/mission_statement.htm    (02)

GAME PLAN
Envision the dream    (03)

     * carry forward the vision of Vannevar Bush, Doug Engelbart, and Ted
Nelson of the computer as a medium for communication, collaboration, and
coordination
     * design a new application to manage email, appointments, contacts,
and tasks
     * share information easily with people at work, friends, and family
     * serve a broad base of users, from casual to technologically advanced
     * don't require a dedicated server or complex administration
     * offer choice of platforms and full interoperability amongst Windows,
Macintosh, and Linux versions
     * leverage our resources by using an Open Source model of development
     * pay fanatical attention to the quality of the user experience    (04)

Build the product    (05)

     * we have sufficient funding for the first release
     * we have assembled a world-class team of developers who are
passionate about applications
     * we are talking to users to understand their needs
     * we are employing a modern architecture: XML, P2P networking,
semantic database, cross-platform tool kit
     * we are building on Open Source components: Python, Jabber,
wxWindows/wxPython, ZODB    (06)

Gain adoption in the market    (07)

     * target the specific requirements of individuals, groups,
small-to-medium enterprises, and members of multiple groups
     * provide simple migration paths from existing products for
individuals and organizations
     * support access via the Web, PDA's and other portable devices, in
addition to PC's
     * implement "killer features" and order of magnitude improvements in
key capabilities
     * make source and object code publicly available at no charge    (08)

Sustain the project    (09)

     * work with the Open Source community to extend and evolve the code base
     * encourage firms to offer complementary fee-based services, support,
customization and consulting
     * license completely free for developers who redistribute their source
code
     * fee-based license for proprietary developers who do not redistribute
source code, the fees fund our core development
     * maintain our non-profit status to ensure all work contributed by the
community benefits the community    (010)

Think long-term    (011)

     * evolve the code base into an open, robust platform for high-quality,
intelligent, distributed, cross-platform applications
* tackle other productivity applications beginning with database management
and word processing
XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (012)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (013)