Re: [unrev-II] Dervin and Sense-Making

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 16:25:10 PST

    OK, I've just read a Dervin paper:
    http://communication.sbs.ohio-state.edu/sense-making/art/artdervin83.html

    AN OVERVIEW OF SENSE-MAKING RESEARCH:
    CONCEPTS, METHODS, AND RESULTS TO DATE
    by: Brenda Dervin

    It comes with a proviso:

    Notes:
    This 1983 presentation of the Sense-Making approach is now out of date but
    still provides a foundation for interested readers. For more up-to-date
    works, see the various bibliographic listings on this on-line site.

    As I read that paper it does emphasize the importance of active information
    seeking by individuals, but omits any notion of their reaction to that
    information.

    Or from:
    On studying information seeking methodologically: the
    implications of connecting metatheory to method
    Brenda Dervin*
    Ohio State University, 3016 Derby Hall, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
    Accepted 20 April 1999
    http://communication.sbs.ohio-state.edu/sense-making/art/artdervin01.pdf

    "Sense-Making mandates a focus on the hows of human individual and
    collective sense-
    making and sense-unmaking, on the varieties of internal and external
    cognizings, emotings,
    feelings, and communicatings that make, reinforce, challenge, resist, alter,
    and reinvent human
    worlds."

    Funny how the word persuasion or self-persuasion could cover so much of that
    list.

    "Factizing, of course, is not the only verbing that creates what we
    call knowledge. There are a host of other verbings involved (e.g.
    consensusing, negotiating,
    power-brokering, deŽning, hunching, muddling, suppressing). By focusing on
    the verbings by
    which sense is made and unmade, Sense-Making frees research from the
    implicit assumption
    that there is one right way to produce knowledge. Emoting, for example,
    usually marginalized
    as a non-useful strategy for sense-making takes equal footing along with
    factizing. Sense-
    Making conceptualizes every verb of collective and individual human
    sense-making as useful
    under some conditions and methodologically mandates research to unearth
    those conditions."

    Ditto.

    "Sense-Making assumes that issues of force and power
    pervade all human conditions; that humans are impacted by the constraining
    forces of
    structural power (both natural and societal) and that as individuals in
    specific situations they
    are themselves sites of power, to resist, reinvent, challenge, deny, and
    ignore."

    Ditto.

    "Extrapolated from the above is a central assumption that ordinary human
    beings are
    theorists, not just potentially theorists, but theory-makers. Sense-Making
    posits that theory-
    making is a mandate of the human condition given pervasive discontinuity.
    This discontinuity
    manifests itself in multiple ways: in the gappiness of the human condition
    with its gaps
    between external worlds and internals, time, and space; in the gaps between
    human mind,
    tongue, heart, body; in gaps between people at the same time; in gaps in a
    person across time;
    in gaps between structure and person, structure and structure. The
    assumption of pervasive
    discontinuity leads to the assumption that no human movement, collective or
    individual, can
    be fully instructed or fully constrained a priori. The next step may be a
    repetition, or an
    invention; by design or by caprice; in conformity or resistance; a muddle or
    a thrashing about.
    Whatever the next move, whether it be a move by a single person, or a move
    by one or more
    persons on behalf of a collective, that move is made without complete
    instruction or
    constraint. The very idea of this incompleteness presents the possibility of
    considering these
    moves as at least in part designed (consciously or unconsciously,
    repetitively or innovatively).
    Being in part designed, they can be conceptualized as practices that are in
    some way theorized
    even if that theorizing appears mute and inarticulate or dominated and
    constrained. It is in this
    space that Sense-Making mandates the positioning of humans as theorists and
    the study of
    communication as dialogic."

    Ditto.

    So how come 'Sense-Making' seems only to stress the information seeking of
    actors and not the power struggles, internal and external that are so
    important in the picture? Why, when she's studied Michel Foucault, are her
    actors so divorced from this struggle?
    Could it be because there's a 'GAP' in there that shouldn't be there?

    And so on...
    Seems to me that good sense-making requires a little more coherence.

    [Time for bed.]

    Peter