Re: [unrev-II] Dervin and Sense-Making

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 14:45:44 PST

    Peter Jones wrote:

    > OK, I've just read a Dervin paper:
    >
    > ttp://communication.sbs.ohio-state.edu/sense-making/art/artdervin83.html
    >
    > AN OVERVIEW OF SENSE-MAKING RESEARCH:
    > CONCEPTS, METHODS, AND RESULTS TO DATE
    > by: Brenda Dervin

    > "Sense-Making assumes that issues of force and power
    > pervade all human conditions; that humans ....
    > are themselves sites of power, to resist, reinvent, challenge, deny,
    > and ignore."

    WHAT????!!!!

    What is the point of calling it "sense making", if the whole concept of
    persuasion is buried in it. How is this a "change" from the
    persuasion-centered
    theories of the past?

    I mean, we might want to define "power" as the ability to get someone to

    pretend they agree with you, and go along with what you say. On the
    other hand, there is also a "power" dimension to persuasion -- where by
    dint of repetition, force of will, eloquence of expression, or pure
    education,
    you get someone to see the world differently than they did before.

    Finally, there is the concept of arriving at the most useful possible
    conclusions, of collaboratively arriving at some form of "truth" that
    becomes manifest in the process. It is that concept that "sense making"
    sounds like it is about.

    But first there is the personal dimension to "sense making" -- the
    ability
    to make sense of things. So there is a hierachy, of sorts:
                                Power

                           Persusion

                    Sense-Making
                     | |
              Individual Collaboration
              Investigation

    All aspects of that equation are necessary to make progress in the
    world. All are worthy of study. But that oen paragraph seems to
    lump them all in under the heading of "sense making", when I would
    see it as part of a larger hierarchy.

    Break free. Great
    American Smokeout
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/C0gGED/.pSDAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM