[ba-ohs-talk] Turning Over Controls Requires Mentoring a Replacement

Henry,    (01)

The 10 steps you are struggling with can likely be handled with purple
numbers, dialog mapping, Wiki, and other advances that the OHS/DKR
team is rounding into shape.    (02)

Applying this to your publishing task likely requires some
orientation, which is difficult to accomplish at arms length, as you
know from your years as an educator.  As a result the 10 or so steps
you outline may continue to be the most direct path for getting your
work done for the period ahead, because when the OHS/DKR becomes
operable, there will be learning curve that makes transition a
challenge.      (03)

Turning over the controls of your publishing work will equally require
some mentoring on your part of a replacement.  The problem everyone
seems to have is that getting things done day-to-day does not leave
time for helping you transition to the more powerful tools everybody
is describing on the OHS/DKR, and neither do you have time to find a
young person willing and able to be mentioned, nor to perform the
mentoring.    (04)

Now, if there was a way to capture daily work experience that
accumulates case studies for the various tasks involved in your work,
that might ease the burden of transitioning someone into your role and
eventually permit turning over the controls, as you note in your
letter below.  Case studies, however, is another name for archives
that are anathema to many because organizational memory requires, yes,
you guessed it, "organization," for assembling relevant stuff.  You
noted on 000926 that people are afraid that organizing the record
takes too much diligence.  So, we are stuck exercising a lot more
diligence because there is not enough time to learn how to use less.
It's a KM dilemma that may deserve a word or two in your excellent
journal, when time permits.    (05)

Rod    (06)