Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Link Semantics

John ... Try http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/ ...

This specification defines the XML Linking Language (XLink), which allows elements to be inserted into XML documents in order to create and describe links between resources. It uses XML syntax to create structures that can describe links similar to the simple unidirectional hyperlinks of today's HTML, as well as more sophisticated links.

Also, I don't see much reference to it anymore, but the Dexter Hypertext Reference Model was a milestone in designing an abstract linking specification. See for example http://wwwis.win.tue.nl/~debra/cursus/static/dexter.html ...

The Dexter model is an attempt to capture, both formally and informally, the important abstractions found in a wide range of existing and future hypertext systems. The goal of the model is to provide a principled basis for comparing systems as well as for developing interchange and interoperability standards.

cheers,
Jeff

--

Dr. Jeff Conklin <jeff@cognexus.org>
CogNexus Institute ... Collaborative Display, Collective Intelligence