[ba-ohs-talk] The Endeavour Expedition: Charting the Fluid Information Utility

Ref.
< http://endeavour.cs.berkeley.edu:80/proposal/9907index.html>    (01)

Below are interesting hightlights of the MVD & CITRIS projects'- Vision
of the Future to discuss that's very common to OHS/DKR:    (02)

          "What distinguishes modern humankind is our
          collective ability to build more complex tools and
          communities. In previous eras, these amplified
          muscle power. In the last half century, a new kind
          of tool has emerged-information technology. Its
          impact on society is now only dimly understood. We
          will explore the future of information technology by
          creating it and living in it, within the EECS
          Department, the Berkeley campus, the City of
          Berkeley, and beyond. ...
          <
          http://endeavour.cs.berkeley.edu:80/proposal/9907IIB.html#anchor729043>    (03)

          ... Our goal is nothing less than radically
          enhancing human understanding through the use of
          information technology, by making it dramatically
          more convenient for people to interact with
          information, devices, and other people. We will
          achieve this by developing a revolutionary
          Information Utility, able to operate at planetary
          scale. To validate the architecture, we will stress
          it under demanding applications for rapid decision
          making and learning.
          <
          http://endeavour.cs.berkeley.edu:80/proposal/9907IIA.html#anchor726255
          >    (04)

          ... Our view of the future demands a quantum change
          in information technology research: dynamic
          adaptation, self-organization, and personalization
          on a truly massive scale."
          <
          http://endeavour.cs.berkeley.edu:80/proposal/9907IIB.html
          >    (05)

   * Personal Information Management is the Killer Application:
        o Computer usage is shifting from corporate processing to the
          management, analysis, aggregation, dissemination, and
          filtering of information for the individual in all aspects of
          their lives.    (06)

   * People Create Knowledge, Not Data:
        o Information technology has traditionally focused on managing
          and retrieving explicitly entered data. We will soon be
          digitizing and archiving the bulk of human activity. It will
          be an on-going stream culled from everyday human activities
          and physical phenomena. The analysis, processing, and
          or-ganization of this information must become more automated.    (07)

   * Information Technology is a Utility:
        o Access to information cannot stop because a computer has
          crashed, a link is stale, or a subset of information in not
          entirely consistent. The challenge is to develop an
          architecture that continuously provides service on top of
          highly dynamic underlying information. Flexible architectures
          are loosely organized and adaptive, allowing great confidence
          in its operation, and providing ad-ministrative scalability
          (i.e., the administration of a complex system on a
          planetary-scale by multiple, unaffiliated people with unique
          objectives, while its physical and logical resources are
          constantly changing).    (08)

   * Beyond the Desktop:
        o When millions of people are conducting their efforts on-line
          with shared information, the confluence of their actions
          becomes a powerful means of enhancing our productivity and
          extracting knowledge from information. The challenge is to
          automatically infer relationships among information, delegate
          control, and establish authority from available information,
          assisted with new ways to interact with information and people
          to enhance human productivity.    (09)