Re: Another such tool: Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Mind mapping tool

Danny Ayers wrote:    (01)

[...]
> Or for that matter with TouchGraph  (as Alex modestly neglects to mention)
> :
> http://www.touchgraph.com/
>
> I agree with Alex's point about the limitations of hierachical views, and
> it's a common drawback to virtually all the 'mindmapper' type tools,
> whatever their subject matter. For such tools to become *really* useful, in
> my opinion they will need to have at least two fundamental characteristics :
> a (node & arc) graph based model; a globally interoperable data format.
> There appear to be two major alternatives available for the model/format -
> XML Topic Maps (XTM) and Resource Description Framework (RDF). (I'm
> currently working on a tool of this type primarily using the latter).    (02)

Since Danny is tackling the RDF side, I should probably chime in
that I'm working on the XTM side of things, though some already know
this.    (03)

It occurs to me that a number of people on this list are completely
capable of installing and running development-status software on
their machines. That's about where Ceryle is right now, and so I
think I'll try to bundle up a package and announce a first release
sometime soon[er]. It has a fairly sophisticated, extended TouchGraph
display, and can import LTM and XTM (as well as a few others). I've
recently added some topic map editing functionality, though I've
yet to finish one part: setting the type of an association. As
one might guess, documentation is sparse at best, though all buttons
have tooltips.    (04)

I'll announce it here when available.    (05)

Murray    (06)

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (07)

            If you're the first person in a new territory,
            you're likely to get shot at.
                                                     -- ma    (08)