RE: [ba-ohs-talk] WebQuestMapper, QuestMap in applet form

Thanks Danny,    (01)

Late last night, I finally figured out how to do panning and got it
working. Also added a "feature" that lets you left-click a node and the map
pans to center (not really center, but it's close) that node. It's a handy
way to "walk" a large graph.    (02)

Now, to add delete, and manage edges. Then, clean the whole mess up so that
it's really presentable.    (03)

The source code for the project is found at http://www.nexist.org/wqm/ and
later today, I'll drop the latest source into that directory.  The node
class is called LabelNode and it's toString() method writes the XML. You
could add a toRDF() method if you like. Anyone is more than welcome to send
me patches to the code where they fix something or add some functionality.    (04)

Still tons of rough edges. I haven't figured out how to make it respond to
resize events without clicking to force a refresh.    (05)

The notion of Jabber is to add chat to it and couple that with a "read
only" map designation so that people everywhere can participate in a
conversation while someone constructs the map from the discussion.    (06)

Indeed, Jabber is so cool, I'm looking at adding JavaSpaces to it:
JabberSpaces.    (07)

Cheers
Jack
At 08:48 PM 11/26/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Very nice!
>
> >I constructed an applet using code from a topic map project I built
> >earlier.  The applet is a kind of reconstruction of QuestMap, called
> >WebQuestMapper Lite (Lite because it is built with Java's AWT rather than
> >Swing so that it can run under old browsers).
>
>Hmm - I thought awt stuff was normally considered heavyweight compared to
>swing, but whatever, it doesn't take long to load on through my slow
>connection, and it ran a treat in IE6. There does seem to be a minor refresh
>bug somewhere, but clicking on the window got it to repaint ok. (this was
>both in the browser & standalone, JDK 1.4 on Win2k).
>
>  There's still lots to do to
> >finish it, including adding a Jabber chat client
>
>For chatting or exchanging data (or both)?
>
>  and a few other things
> >(like scroll/pan, delete, etc), but it's running and, based on the open
> >source mantra, publish early, publish often, it's up and available.
>
>Hey, it looks pretty fine already!
>
>I've not had chance to look at any version of QuestMap before, and its
>particularly interesting to me as I've spent the past few months working on
>something rather similar ;-) The pop-up node editors are the same in
>principle as the ones I've got in Ideagraph, so hopefully we've converged on
>a good solution!
>
>It's also a nice prompt for me to get the IBIS RDF vocabulary
>(http://purl.org/ibis) sorted out. I'd be very interested to hear your
>suggestions on what's needed. I think I've got one good task now - making
>sure the maps made with WebQuestMapper can be expressed in RDF (it should be
>possible to work out XSLT stylesheets to transform RDF <-> WQMXML).
>
>Anyhow, it's really nice to see, & keep up the good work!
>
>Cheers,
>Danny.    (08)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (09)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (010)