Re: [ba-ohs-talk] New backlink metadata; mhpurple v0.2 released

Eugene Eric Kim <eekim@eekim.com> writes:    (01)

 % > 	     Speaking of cross listed.... Since I am new to these
 % > 	     ba-X-talk lists, I wonder... Are they being archived?    (02)

 %   http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/    (03)

 % Archived with purple numbers.    (04)

 Great.    (05)

 % > 	     If so... What would it take for the mail list manager
 % > 	     to tag the message with an archive URL for the threads?
 % >
 % > 	     If it did, then my mail would be able to automatically
 % > 	     click into the archive of the discussion.    (06)

 % This is something we discussed many moons ago when we were having regular
 % meetings at SRI.  In short, it's only doable if the mailing list manager
 % is well-integrated with the mail archiving program.  That is the case with
 % Mailman, but not with Majordomo/MHonArc, which is what we're using right
 % now.    (07)

 Please go into majordomo's config.
 And in it set the "Footer" to be a reference to the list:    (08)

http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/ba-ohs-talk/0203/dates.html    (09)

It would be better if you could set it to:    (010)

http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/ba-ohs-talk/current/dates.html    (011)

To do that, you would need to update the link with a cron job.     (012)

That is not all the way there, but it is a step forward.    (013)

I will think about how to integrate majordomo closer.    (014)

 % > 	     What do we as a ba-X-talk group need to do in order
 % > 	     to utilize hyperlinked mail as a basic assumption to
 % > 	     our conversations?    (015)

 % > 	     IE, what changes to our behavior, mail programs, list serve
 % > 	     programs would we need to make such that each message
 % > 	     had links and references to the others in the conversation
 % > 	     and each of us to have easy access to them from our
 % > 	     disparate mail reading programs?    (016)

 % Excellent questions.  I have a similar setup as you do; accessing links
 % from e-mail is a matter of control clicking the link.  I use Pine running
 % in a Gnome terminal, with Mozilla as my web browser.  I'm curious to hear
 % what other people's thoughts on this are.    (017)

 % There are certainly conventions that we can adopt as a group to improve
 % the quality of our archives and discourse.  For instance, if we are
 % proposing links of interest, as many people often do, we could submit them
 % in the form of an RDF-ish template.  These could be extracted and used to
 % build a portal -- Yahoo-style, blog-style, the possibilities are endless
 % -- automatically.    (018)

-----
CTO PEAK -              .           computers and the Internet
Public Electronic         .            more effectively
Access to Knowledge,Inc       .
1600 SW Western, Suite 180       .            Internet: sechrest@peak.org
Corvallis Oregon 97333               .                  (541) 754-7325
                                            . http://www.peak.org/~sechrest    (019)