Re: [ba-ohs-talk] OHS & the "now" enterprises, incl. CITRIS Kickoff

Quoted stuff:    (01)

>"While America is on high-alert for more terrorist
>           attacks and is re-booting its economy, planet earth
>           will don an electronic skin. It will use the
>           Internet as a scaffold to support and transmit its
>           sensations. This skin is already being stitched
>           together. It consists of millions of embedded
>           electronic measuring devices: thermostats, pressure
>           gauges, pollution detectors, cameras, microphones,
>           glucose sensors, EKGs, electroencephalographs. These
>           will probe, monitor, and safeguard cities and
>           endangered species, the atmosphere, our ships,
>           highways and fleets of trucks, our conversations,
>           our bodies--even our dreams.    (02)

+    (03)

> The rise of the Evernet will be humanity's greatest achievement to
date
> and will be universally recognized as our most valued planetary asset
or
> collective good.  Downtime, or loss of connectivity, becomes the
> standard, time-sensitive definition of a national security crisis, and
> protection of the Evernet becomes the preeminent security task of
> governments around the world. Ruling elites will rise and fall based
on
> their security policies toward, and the political record on, the care
> and feeding of the Evernet, whose health will be treated by mass media
> as having the same broad human interest and import as the weather
> (inevitably eclipsing even that)."    (04)

"Ruling elites"?! Very ominous. I don't like the sound of that at all.    (05)

Did anyone see the movie "Enemy of the State" starring Will Smith and
Gene Hackman?    (06)

I would like these ideas if they didn't have that same one-sided ring to
them that accompanied the rush to split the atom.
Is anyone funding the development of the safeguards too?    (07)

Sigh. Strange how the world used to work perfectly well with just a
basic postal system and some horses.    (08)

--
Peter    (09)